When noting music for violin, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- you specify bow direction with bowing marks and down-bow
- apart from ties most slurs will instruct to play the slurred notes with one bowing stroke.
- Fingering for the left hand uses numbers 1 through 4 for index finger through little finger and a 0 for an open string.
- flageolets are written with diamond-shaped noteheads.
- the lowest possible note is a G3, the highest note without having to play in position is an A5.
- strings are numbered from highest to lowest with roman numerals: I = E5, II = A4 , III = D4 , IV = A3
- use pizzicato or pizz. to indicate that you should not stretch but strum. arco ends pizzicato.
- if you want to play with sordine (damper), con sordino or con sord. is noted, and with senza sord. played normally again.